Capital Area Chapter Blog

American Red Cross

Volunteers responded to four house fires!

Disaster Action Teams responded to FOUR house fires today throughout the Big Bend area! with cold weather still upon us it is so important that we all be aware of the hazards that may cause house fires. Below are some general fire safety tips:
– Stay near kitchen or grill when cooking
– Store matches and lighters in a locked cabinet or out of the reach of children
– Space heaters need space! It’s recommended that you keep space heaters away (at least 3ft) from flammable materials
– Check your chimney once a year and clean when necessary
– Keep materials that can burn away from a lit fire and use a metal or glass screen in front of the fire
– Never leave the room when a candle is lit or place candles nears places where it can easily catch on fire
– When the power is out use a flashlight, not candles

For more fire safety and other preparedness tips, visit our website at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on March 4, 2010 by in Volunteers.

Chapter Location


Twitter Updates


%d bloggers like this: